Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In My Hands Memoir

So far I am definately enjoying the memoir that I have chosen. When I read the back of In My Hands, I was automatically hooked. Irene Gut Opdyke reminded me of my grandmother. Like my grandmother, Irene was born in Poland. Irene had to be 16 when my grandmother was born-when WWII started getting serious. My grandmother was lucky enough to leave Poland before it was taken over by the Russians and Germans. Irene was not as lucky as my grandmother.
Irene's family always felt that she was destined to do great things. Irene was raised in a loving and caring family that served all different kinds of people. When she was older, she attended nursing school, and felt she was in the right place, doing what she loved doing, helping others. Irene was traveling with Polish soldiers when they got the report that Poland was no longer a country. They were shocked, and fled into the woods in Russia. There, Irene was attacked and hurt badly.
It's crazy reading what Irene went through. She was so innocent, always meaning to do good. Then all of a sudden she is stripped from everything. She can't go back to her family and the people where she is in Russia hate her. She dosn't even know the language at the hospital at first. The hospital staff was nice enough to keep her there for a while, but she couldn't stay long. Now she is living with one of the doctor's friends and referred to as Rachel. It's sad that she had to go through such a change, and I have a feeling it will get sadder. However I also have a feeling she still has things to do that will change others' lives.

No comments: